by scott chris
Canelo Alvarez will be back in the ring on May 5, according to promoter Oscar De La Hoya, who took to Twitter for one of his empty, pointless polling-the-fanbase things where he pretends he cares what anyone really wants to see. The fight will be part of the Mayweather vs Cotto show, either in Las Vegas or a split site in Los Angeles or another location, as the did last September on the Mayweather vs Ortiz card.
Alvarez (39-0-1, 29 KO) is coming off of a predictably easy TKO win over former welterweight contender Kermit Cintron in November, and right now the rumor winds blowing suggest strongly that another badly faded former welterweight standout, Shane Mosley, will be getting the next crack at the 21-year-old Mexican superstar.
Mosley recently said that Golden Boy has reached out about a fight against Alvarez. Mosley, 40, is currently a free agent, having left Golden Boy last year to fight Manny Pacquiao in May.
As Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KO) hasn’t won a fight in three years and hasn’t looked remotely good in his 0-2-1 stretch since then, this would be a really transparent and lousy fight, but unfortunately it will probably have enough people thinking it’s good that it won’t be totally dumped on by everybody, although it would deserve that.
Some thought that Cintron, himself years removed from his last good performance, and having recently been dominated by Carlos Molina before a listless win over Antwone Smith, would be a good and difficult fight for Alvarez. He wasn’t. Perhaps the same group will assume Mosley in his twilight years would be that difficult veteran supposedly awaiting Alvarez, who can’t be convinced to box anyone within his age group, it would appear.
De La Hoya says he has lots of options, but let’s be real: The clear front-runner is this miserable, shot version of Shane Mosley whose run-away (not runaway) performance against Pacquiao was booed by the live audience and intensely criticized as a PPV ripoff by the TV audience.
source: bad left hook